Monday, December 6, 2010

A trip to The Department of Backstory

Last year I was sitting on a windswept headland at sunset. My family have a house at the beach and this headland is where I go to get internet reception. On this particular evening I was talking to my friend beccamarsh using an instant messaging service. Just as I was saying goodbye and vowing to wear a jumper next time I came up, I flicked over to the Doctor Who site to have a quick look.

I was greeted by this picture. Now, beccamarsh and I were quite substantial fans of Mr Tennant and his portrayal of the Tenth  Doctor. It is natural therefore that we didn’t like Matt Smith straight away. In fact, we were quite mean about the size of his nose for a number of months. This picture was our first sight of the costume. It was also the first time we heard the name “Amy Pond.”

You’ll see what our reaction was. It funny reading this now while I’m getting all excited about Smithmas and having a serious discussion about the relative merits of Tennant and Smith. Oh how times have changed.

There are only one or two things you should know before you begin-
-Tatham was our Modern History teacher.
-We had a friend called Aimee who, for complicated reasons, was known as “The Duck.”


alex says:
OH MY GOD. Go to doctor who site. NOW

beccamarsh says:
Going, going.

alex says:
I hate it.

beccamarsh says:
Holy crap.

alex says:
Exactly.
AMY POND?!

beccamarsh says:
At least the ranga chick isn’t in a flannie but holy crap!!

alex says:
IT’S TWEED!

beccamarsh says:
pond????

alex says:
No! Mr Steven Moffat Sir! What have you done?

beccamarsh says:
Maybe, maybe its a trick. Maybe its a fake photo release

alex says:
I don't think it is. He looks like TATHAM

beccamarsh says:
HOLY CRAP!! I SEE IT!!

alex says:
ARRRRRRR!

beccamarsh says:
But… but…

alex says:
This isn't happening

beccamarsh says:
But…I mean…

  alex says:
But...they're taking David Tennant away and giving us Tatham?
There is no god.

beccamarsh says:
Or there is and he’s a bastard.

alex says:
But SERIOUSLY

beccamarsh says:
I mean Amy? That’s not a name

alex says:
It’s a name for a duck


We're currently trying to devise some sort of test to make a serious Tennant/Smith comparison. The current thinking is we watch one episode of each and make judgments. Any thoughts? 

2 comments:

  1. But... There's 'I'm SO SAD. So very sad' Tennant and there's 'Alons-y!' Tennant. They're almost separate characters. Try comparing two Moffat episodes perhaps?
    But make it known on your test that Mr Smith is taller than DT. That should count for something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...see? These are the kind of things that need to be taken into account. My current thinking is we compare 'the girl in the fireplace' and 'the lodger'. They're two of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete