Thursday, February 24, 2011

Why I love Wednesdays... Part 2



Laid isn’t at all what I was expecting. To be honest I’m not sure what it is I was expecting but it certainly wasn’t something this sweet and subtle and complex.

I think I thought it would be a lot more in your face. The premise does lend itself to graphic sex jokes and dialogue that makes you all squirmy. Instead its all warm and fuzzy. Like hugs or something. (I like this show a lot, you’ll have to deal with the gushing)

Lately, as I’m writing myself, I’ve been contemplating something. Where is the line between “that would never happen” and “I wish I was that cool”? Because we don’t want reality from fiction. We want hyper-reality. The kind of thing we wish our life was like. We want to dialogue you can never think of at, the moment you would never come up with it. We want inspiring but flawed heroines and slightly too perfect men. But we want it to be believable. Impossible but achievable. Is it a wonder most writers are slightly insane?

Laid does all of this magnificently. The simple fact is that the whole concept should be totally ludicrous. We shouldn’t believe a word of it. But we do. Every word. As far as I’m concerned, Roo could be living up the road. All this stuff could be happening right now. I really don’t see why it couldn’t be real.

All the characters, even the minor ones, are rich and developed. The boss in the office, who has hardly any lines, is three dimensional. And its funny. Regularly, properly, laugh out loud (and not in the lol way) funny. I know its supposed to be but I didn’t expect to laugh so much (if that makes sense).

I adore Roo and I'm in love with Charlie. EJ is the sort of best friend everyone would like to have (I have an excellent best friend actually. Hello beccamarsh!) and even her boyfriend, flawed as he is, is distinctly lovable.

I get quite sad when each episode ends. I know I’ll be devastated when the whole series is over. But that’s good. I’m not sure I’ve ever been this in love with an Australian made show. Ten points.

I can’t wait til next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment