Thursday, February 24, 2011

Why I love Wednesdays... Part 1


I like talk shows.

I’m not really sure what it is about them that I find so fascinating but fascinating they are. I watch Graham Norton most weeks. I love the weird combinations of guests they throw together and the occasions this hits gold. And then there’s The Late Late Show, which I continue to loose sleep over. The rest of uni is out partying at 11pm. I’m watching late night TV. Funny thing is, when Adam Hills in Gordon Street Tonight was announced I wasn’t like “HURRAH! It’s a talk show! I love talk shows!”
Maybe I’m in denial.

There are a lot of things I love about IGST. I love the credits and the set and logo. I love that it isn’t trying to be something its not. They’re acknowledging and celebrating the long tradition this show is stepping into. No one’s trying to make something ground breaking or innovative. They set out to do and talk show and do it well. It’s a little bit retro and a little bit kitch. I love that.

But you know what? Without trying to make something totally new, they have. This is unique. Because what they’ve done is take everything the world loves about Adam and distil it into an hour of TV.

One of my favourite things is the audience interaction. On Graham Norton they have The Red Chair. Which is hilarious. But where everyone else is cutting and cynical Adam is nice to his audience. He sets them up on dates and gives them singing daleks and asks about their lives. You just want to invite him over to your house and make him biscuits.

I’m not usually a fan of the musical bits. It tends to be when I switch the jug on or make a dash to the loo but I adore Gorgon Street Classics. I’ve been utterly captivated by them. Its not just people trotting out their latest single to promote a concert tour, its artists trying to genuinely do justice to a song with history. And that’s incredibly powerful.

I could go on for quite a while about this show. About how lovely the combinations of guests are and how well the regulars slot into the format. To be honest I could rave for a while about the camera work. And the writing. I love the writing. But you’ve all seen it yourselves.
And I want to know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. Tim Minchin's cover was magnificent, and I love the bewildering presence of Hannah Gadsby. I mean, Adam could easily do that himself, or have some intern carry those things out. But she does add to it, with random comments to what's going on and her hair, which I envy. Plus, she's Tasmanian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love Wednesdays, for the exact same reason you do. Though I have to love them retroactively (oh iview.. I love you). I have to catch up on last night's ahigst and laid yet. Loving both.

    ReplyDelete