Friday, January 28, 2011

The Late Late Show




The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson deserves your attention for one simple reason- it has some of the best opening credits of all time.

I’ve had that song in my head for days. It’s poetic and catchy. Plus its coupled with hand puppets and a fountain. All of which achieves the quite difficult task of convincing you to loose the hour of sleep this show asks you to sacrifice.

The Late Late Show (henceforth referred to as LLS) interviewed Matt Smith a couple of months ago wearing the now infamous polka dot socks2. So if you follow any of the major Who related news sources, chances are you’ve seen the interview on YouTube. That was my introduction to LLS. Then it was heavily involved in all that hot air which launched Eleven.

So what is this LLS thing anyway? It’s a talk show, of sorts, hosted by a Scottish/American dude called Craig Ferguson. This is television in its purest form. Its raw and messy and funny. Craig has this wonderful way of interacting with the camera. There’s something about the opening monologue that makes you think he’s actually talking TO YOU. Especially because lately he keeps mentioning Australia. And you keep going “That’s me! I’m from AUSTRALIA!3

And no, I don’t understand half of what’s going on either. I don’t get some of the jokes but I laugh hysterically at others. I can’t really explain why there’s a robot with a mohawk who randomly makes suggestive remarks. His name is Geoffrey Peterson. Just go with it. And the random dancing horse? Its name is Secretariat and apparently has something to do with a Disney movie. That horse has its down dance. A really awesome “I want to do that in public in between bouts of the drunk giraffe” sort of dance.

The only problem with the show is the timeslot. It goes to air here at 10:30pm. Given that’s lot better than the ACTUAL timeslot which is 12:35am (seriously). But 10:30 is that dangerous time. It doesn’t feel all that late but I, for one, always regret any television viewed after that time. So why should you stay up for this?
I’m glad you asked.

“Its hard to stay up, its been a long, long day and you got the sandman knocking at the door. But hang on, leave the TV on and lets do it anyway, its ok. You can always sleep through work tomorrow. Ok? Hey hey. Tomorrow’s just your future yesterday.”


1- My number one footnote went missing during editing. I will therefore use it to draw your attention to all the pointless hyerlink goodness I've spent an unhealthy amount of time peppering this post with.
2- For those of you who aren’t aware I have a slightly unhealthy love affair with Matt Smith’s taste in socks
3- This sort of vaguely insane thought pattern is what happens when you watch late night TV. 

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see a new fan of Craig's. Just so you know, Craig's Scottish, not Irish. Actually, he became an American citizen in 2008. If you want to learn more about Craig, there's an excellent FAQ right here:
    http://sites.google.com/site/craigyflogs/craigyfaq

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh god. This is what happens when I blog after spending too much time on the internet. In my defense I knew that already, I'm just an idiot.

    ReplyDelete