Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sherlock Part 2


I tried extremely hard not to dismiss the second episode out of hand. But even before the credits rolled this wasn’t the masterpiece that part one was. Don’t get me wrong- its was good. But it wasn’t breathtaking.


The opening irritated me. There was something a bit NCIS about the whole thing. I’m not really watching this show for the mystery, I’m watching it for the characters and the dialogue. Then there was the shopping/sword fight montage. It wasn’t until halfway through the episode that I went “Wait a minute. They never explained why Sherlock was having a swordfight with an Arabian man in his apartment. Or what happened to the Arabian man.” I think maybe it was a reference of some kind to the original stories, but if a reference doesn’t make sense to the uninformed observer it should be left out.

There were some great moments in this episode. The leaps of deduction were no less spectacular than before. The scene where Sherlock walked through the financial office bobbing up and down behind patricians was quite hilarious. Sherlock’s flirting with the morgue worker was a well written build up on a relationship that was introduced brilliantly in episode one. I hope they make something of it in the finale. I love the way Sherlock’s sweetness is underscored with indifference and, in turn, is also hiding just the merest hint of something genuine.

In a similar vein, I loved the spray painter. Am I making a stab in the dark or was he supposed to represent Banksy? If anyone would be on first name terms with the world’s most elusive artist it would be Sherlock. I’m going to pretend that this theory is correct. Because I like it.

 But the text messages were missing. The onscreen text wasn’t used to its full advantage. The people I’ve discussed episode one with have all commented on how inspired the text was. So why leave it out in part two? But I think the biggest flaw came during the climax. When Watson’s love interest (see? I can’t even remember her name) was strapped to a chair and facing imminent death by Chinese arrow, I really didn’t care. It was exciting but I wouldn’t have been particularly devastated if she had died. Actually I was slightly disappointed that she didn’t.

Episode two was missing the understated humour, dark undertow and that unmistakable sexiness. Basically what it was missing was Steven Moffat. But, alas, not everyone can write like that. Television would be an amazing place if they could. It’s a great tragedy that we’ll never see another Press Gang. Unfortunately Mr Moffat has realised that single headedly writing scripts of that quantity is insane. Kind of wish he’d remained ignorant.

 One more episode to go. This Sunday 8:30 Channel Nine. The final was written by Mark Gatiss. I have high hopes.

No comments:

Post a Comment