Monday, October 25, 2010

Sherlock 3



I’ve decided. What I’m going to do is cut off their toes. 


You see, I’m pretty sure that submitting the public to an ending like that deserves a certain amount of retaliation. The hard bit is working out something that is suitably horrible and memorable but which doesn’t cause lasting physiological or physical damage which would impair long term writing ability. QED- I’m going to cut off their toes. 


Mr Moffat already owes me one for the finale of Press Gang which caused me lasting physiological damage. That one warrants the removal of a big toe. The final of Sherlock last night wasn’t exactly big toe material. Unlike Press Gang the results aren’t permanent- we only have to wait a year to experience the conclusion. Plus I have a fair amount of confidence that it’ll be worth the wait. However Mr Moffat and Mr Gatisis are being held jointly responsible for the pain that episode caused millions of people. So I’m thinking a middle toe. 


The final episode of the three was, in summery, better than the second but not quite as good as the first. The main problem  was how much was going on. The multi-case format of the episode was potentially genius and it did work, but it was occasionally very confusing. It had the distinct feeling of an episode which was drastically shorter than it had been originally. I think a lot of script hit the floor along the way. 


For example- why did the assassin look like an extra from Lord of the Rings? Did I miss the bit where they explained that? Also the fight in the planetarium (is that even what that place was?) was just a teeny bit confusing and pointless. I think we were supposed to get the supernova clue from the voiceover but I was too busy trying to work out what was going on. The thing about Sherlock is that I don’t actually want to guess what’s going to happen. That’s one of the things I like about it. 


When Sherlock was posting the answer to each case on his blog, it would have been nice to have to text on screen. Partly because it would have been more consistent but mostly because I couldn‘t read it. Maybe it was perfectly clear in high definition digital but not all of us have that luxury. 


There is, however, nothing I love more than a good piece of evil in a deserted swimming pool. Its such a gloriously other wordly location. Are there words to describe Moriarty? I’m not sure there are. The moment when John stepped out was chilling. For a moment there I considered the possibility that he’s done it. I knew that he couldn’t have but the fact that I considered it is impressive. And then I saw the bomb. And the chill went deeper. 


The high light of the episode was Sherlock ripping the bomb off John. By far my favourite script device is unresolved sexual tension. There is nothing quite like it. It now indisputable that sexual tension is what John and Sherlock have going. What is yet to be realised is whether its essentially platonic (that’s right people, platonic sexual tension) or are they…well you know. Last night I decided I really don’t care which it is. They are two very untrusting people who are deeply loyal to each other. And that’s great to watch. 


Lets not talk too much about the ending. I’ve been trying not to put myself through that. I can only say I hope next year comes quickly. And that first episode better be amazing. There are toes hanging in the balance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment