Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Hair

My hair and I don’t have a lot of positive role models. Especially not on television. As much as I love TV, I have a fairly strong hatred for its negative representation of hair styles. I mean seriously, I know full well that it took a stylist at least an hour to achieve that look so why, prey tell, do you feel the need to pretend you leapt out of bed and shoved a scrunchie in your maliciously tousled hair?

(Ok so I’ve watched my annual episode of Home and Away this week and I'm feeling bitter).

Having said that, I’m a sucker for good hair done right. So here are my favourites.

Lynda Day- On the auto commentary for series 2 of Press Gang, Steven Moffat comments that a lot of girls had their hair cut to look like Lynda. There was a time when the frizzy side part was fashionable. I’ve never gone into the hairdresser with a picture. I can’t help but think that’s a little bit weird and pathetic. Or I did. Until Lynda Day inspired me to get my hair cut off. It never really looked anything like her’s (I’ve got a fringe for a start) but I still side part it when I’m going through a particularly strong phrase of “wishing I was more like Lynda.”


Alex Drake- While totally failing to hit Lynda my hairdresser accidentally managed to make me look something like Alex in series 2. While I have yet to see any actual episodes from series 3, I’ve seen pictures. And I’m not particularly happy. Alex Drake is undoubtedly a positive role model for people with vaguely uncontrollable curls. Why go and ruin the magic?




Amy Pond- There’s something to be said about red headed heroines. Its quite obvious that TV-Land contains more natural gingers than real life can currently account for. But there’s something about the blasé way which Amy carries hers that’s quite special. I think the red actually fits and enhances her personality, rather than just being thrown in there for good measure. Ten points. Also how does she do that thing where she makes it look like she's wearing a headband when she isn't?



The 11th Doctor- Once upon a time this particular hairstyle made me weak at the knees. It stood above all others as my favourite type of hair. That was well before Mr Smith slipped into the role of The Doctor and a lot’s happened in my hair style preferences since then. But he does do it rather magnificently. And I have to say, he’s doing a pretty good job of bringing me back ‘round to the floppy haired side.




Horatio Hornblower- the reason Mr Hornblower gets an honourable mention is his ability to maintain that hair despite all obstacles. Seriously. There was an episode when he was locked in a French drain for six months and it came out totally spotless. Let me tell you, I’ve been aboard a tall ship and all that wind and salt air plays havoc with your locks. When it comes to hair spotting on television, this is a mop worth watching.

Bernard Black- My friends and I draw this comic thing which features Bernard as a regular character. He actually travells in the Tardis with Manny as the 11th Doctor (yes, in our universe there are two 11th Doctors). But the point is when we draw his hair its this violent scribble. The violence is what makes it.  



David Tennant- Nope, he doesn’t even get a character name. Because I’d basically have to list everyone he’s every played. How one man can achieve follicle orientated greatness in so many different ways is totally beyond me. I’m pretty sure it’s a miracle of some kind. From the floppy light brown of Campbell Bain to that miraculous spiky Doctor hair, Tennant is the raining king of hair. Here are some pictures for you to marvel over. You’re welcome.





So to my two readers Sian and Lauretta (and anyone else who chances upon this)- how am I doing? What do you think I should do with this blog? Or are you happy for me to just keep aimlessly rambling whenever something catches my fancy? Did you even read this far down the page?

1 comment:

  1. I like the way this is going. Not just review type things all the time. Hair. Awesome. I notice that once retired, swimmers always have horrible, horrible hair. The really try-hard almost plastic look. Or maybe that was just the one person. I felt sorry for her anyway. I do think Noel Fielding should be here, but that's your choice...

    ReplyDelete